First Married Christmas

Can you believe Christmas has already come and gone? I feel like it should still be Thanksgiving. Our pastor that married us told us that one of the biggest challenges for newly weds was deciding what to do for the holidays. Therefore, he asked us to come up with a plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas prior to getting married.  I can honestly say that was one piece of advice that I was very thankful for and it made our holiday travels much easier and stress free.

I have to work every Christmas Eve but my employer lets everyone leave at 2:00 pm (very grateful). Once I got home, Crawford and I loaded the car and headed for Pinetops.  Every year, my entire family which includes 6 aunts/uncles, 7 cousins + spouses, 10 great grandchildren, pack into my grandmas house on Christmas Eve.  We lost my grandma to cancer last year but decided to keep the tradition alive by continuing to have Christmas at her house. I have a feeling that this may change in the future for the fact that we have completely outgrown her house. One thing I will say, my fondest Christmas memories were spent in that house and they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Grandmas children: Uncle John, Aunt Debbie, Aunt Terry, and dad.

This was the first year Crawford has been able to attend Christmas Eve at grandmas and it was so special. Grandma always had a white tree and we still use her white tree and ornaments each year.

Some of my cousins.

Spouses of the grandkids.


After we left grandmas, we went and picked up Hank and went to mom and dads house. We decided we would celebrate Christmas with them on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Craws family. The most important Christmas tradition for me is sitting by the tree on Christmas Eve with a cup of hot chocolate and listening to dad read the story of Christs birth. We have done it every year and afterwards we will share some of the happy/sad/funny/growth moments of the year.


After the Christmas story, we spent the rest of the night opening presents. We even went with mom and dad to pick out a new car for mom. I love my family and enjoyed every moment with them.


Christmas morning felt odd, yet exciting. It was the first time in 25 years I have not woken up in my parents house. Due to the hectic schedule of my birthday, Crawfords moms birthday, and working the week of Christmas, I forgot to buy groceries for breakfast. Nothing was open on Christmas so we literally had nothing for breakfast. FAIL on my part. I promise to do better next year. Crawford and I decided not to do Christmas to each other this year since we just got married, honeymooned in St. Lucia, and bought an iPad. He did surprise me with tickets to see Wicked and I am stoked!! Around 11, we left for Louisburg to spend Christmas with his family.
Here we are with both of his brothers and his grandma.  
This picture was actually taken two weeks prior in Edenton.
This was the first Christmas in which I have been able to see Craws family on Christmas. It was nice being able to experience other traditions. Their Christmas tradition involves eating homemade tacos for Christmas lunch.
Hank even joined us for our little trip to Louisburg. He loves his Lu-Lu (Craws mom) and she absolutely loves him.
I put up this photo on Insta but isn't it crazy the difference one year makes? My second Christmas with Hankers!
We truly had a wonderful Christmas. I have a feeling we will be making a few changes next year- like having groceries on hand for breakfast- but we will forever cherish our first MARRIED Christmas!!

No comments