Crohns Disease

Crohns Disease. AKA my intestines hate me.

I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease in September 2015...nine months after we got married. I had been really sick for a couple of years and doctors had a tough time figuring out what was going on. I quickly realized that the biggest advocate for my health was ME. It took some trial and error and switching doctors but the day I was diagnosed was actually a happy day because it no longer made me feel like I was going crazy.

I've had 4 hospital stays in three years, my most recent being January 2017. The hospital stays are basically for me to receive IV steroid treatments and pain meds while I go on bowel rest meaning clear liquids only.

My body has rejected 3 medicines so far and we are about to try a fourth one. This is pretty typical for chronic diseases as it takes a while to figure out what works as all people are different. For the most part, I have been managing the symptoms well for the past two years. I definitely have days where I can tell my body is flaring but I really try to listen to my body and give it what it needs...that being a bland diet and rest!

I have the BEST support system in the world. Craw has been my rock. I often say that dealing with a wife with a chronic illness is not what he signed up for when he married me but he quickly reminds me that it is exactly what he signed up for. He's seriously the best. He never complains and does whatever it takes to make sure I'm receiving the best care possible. My parents have also played a huge part in making sure I know I'm not alone in the journey. There were times I could see myself falling in to a depression after each hospital stay and they made sure to support me. Plus, mom makes the best chicken and rice which is PERFECT for a bland diet. My in-laws, friends, and church family have also been a huge support to me. Crohns can be a very silent disease as a person can look fine from the outside but feel like they are dying on the inside. That can be hard for people to understand. My friends quickly realized that there would be times I may have to miss events on short notice and they completely supported me.

Living with Crohns is definitely a roller coaster: emotionally, physically, and mentally. While Crohns does play a big part in my life, it does NOT define me. I am so thankful that I am able to live a normal life as there are people that deal with much worse.

 photo signature_zps6fb6277e.png

No comments