Highs and Lows

It has been a little over a week since I last posted.  To be honest, life has been pretty chaotic in the last two weeks.  I debated on whether or not to even type this post but figured the whole point in me starting this blog was to write about my feelings before the wedding as well as my life as a Bolton.

For the last 2 years of my life, I feel like I have been constantly sick.  Crawford actually tells people that I have been sick for the last 4 years because when we first met, he thought I was just making up a random sickness just so we didn't have to hang out.  After a colonoscopy, endoscopy, gall bladder surgery, appendix surgery, and diagnosis of a peanut allergy and wheat intolerance, I just figured the wheat was the culprit for making me feel bad and I should be in the clear for no more surgeries.  The only thing that did not make sense to me was that not all wheat products hurt me but I just went with it and assumed that every time I felt sick was because I was not eating the right foods.

Fast forward to August of this year.  I randomly developed an extremely excruciating abdominal pain that eventually hurt me every time I used the bathroom (TMI, sorry).  After seeing my regular doctor, she referred me back to my GI doctor.  I went and saw him and his NP and after an examination, we figured out what was wrong and they gave me some medicine and about 2 weeks later, the pain was gone. 

Then, one day about 3 weeks ago, the pain returned.  Except much MUCH worse. I knew something was not right.  I made another appointment with my GI and after that appointment, he stated he wanted me to come in next week for a colonoscopy.  Not going to lie, being 3 weeks away from the wedding and having to deal with a health issue is tough.  I remember breaking down that day because 1. I didn't feel good 2. I knew I would have to meet my deductible for the procedure and I already had so many wedding expenses 3. I had way to much on my plate to have to worry about this and 4. I just needed a major cry.

I immediately texted my prayer warriors to pray for me and they gave me the calm and reassurance I needed.  I went in for my colonoscopy last Thursday which was 2 weeks and 2 days from the wedding.  After waking up from the colonoscopy, the doctor told me that my colon and small intestine was extremely inflamed and were covered in ulcers.  I also had an extremely high white blood count.  He stated that he could not confirm anything until the pathology results came back but from the looks of it, he was pretty sure it is Crohn's disease.  My mind immediately went in to overdrive and I was flooded with so many questions. 

What does this mean? How long will it take to find out? What is Crohn's? What types of treatment will I need? Can I still have children one day?
(because I am about to get married and kind of need to know that)

He told me that he did not want to answer any of my questions until we confirmed whether or not it was Crohns and he scheduled my follow-up appointment for 1 week later.

My mom went with me to my appointment yesterday. I felt very prepared because I had done a lot of research and I really just wanted to get treatment so I could start feeling better.  Let's just say that appointment did not really go how I expected it.  He basically told me the test results were very generic and he still did not know 100% whether or not I had Crohns.  The results showed that the inflammation was caused from either Crohns or taking too many NSAIDS (ibuprofen, BC powder, motrin, etc).  I don't take NSAIDS so I told him it couldn't be that.  He then told me that the only way to confirm that it is Crohn's is to have a DNA blood sample sent off to the lab.  That will take about 3 weeks to get the results so he said he wanted to go ahead and start my treatment because he is pretty sure it is Crohns.

So here I am.  Still don't know 100% what is wrong with me but I am getting closer to some answers.  Today was my first day of taking my steroid treatment and I can already tell a major difference.  I have been pain free all day. 

In the last two weeks, I have felt so many emotions that have at times overwhelmed me.  Regardless of what the tests show, I know that I am loved and I have the biggest support system imaginable.  If it turns out to be Crohn's, while it is a chronic disease, it is treatable and for that, I am grateful and know that the medicine that I am on will help me feel better. 

I debated on whether I wanted to type this since we still don't know for sure but I want to be able to look back and remember this time in my life.  I would also like to give a major shout out to Crawford and my parents.  Without their love and support, I would be a mess.  We are now 1 week and 2 days away from the wedding so I am asking for your prayers.  Please pray that the medicine will continue to work and that I will be feeling my best for the day that I have anticipated since I was a little girl.

-AAO

No comments