Road to Dating Part 1: The Tennessee Shirt

The road to dating was definitely not an easy one for us.  For me, it was just needing time to figure things out and for Crawford, it was a pretty agonizing process.  The night we met, dating was probably one of the furthest things from my mind.  I had been freshly single for about a year and was just not ready to dive back in to the dating scene since my only/first/serious relationship lasted nearly 3 years. Yeah, you read that right. 3 years!  I was pursuing God's plan for my life and dating just was not part of that mix.

It was Crawford's freshman year of college, my sophomore.  Sophomore year for me was THE. BEST. YEAR.  Now, don't get me wrong, every year was pretty dang good but that year was just my blessing in disguise.  I was somewhat depressed and God provided exactly what I needed.




Meet the girls that quickly became my blessing.  My bestfriends.  Two of my bridesmaids.  I knew Alyssa from Wilson, I met Alex the year before through choir, and Anna was assigned to live with us because we needed a 4th roommate.  Chance God brought us together that year.  All 4 of us were going through different things and we just hit it off in a way that words cannot really describe.  

Now, lets fast forward to the spring of that year (2010).  Alex had cornhole boards that quickly became our nightly entertainment because 1. What else is there to do in Mount Olive and 2. What else is there to do in Mount Olive?  Can I get an AMEN?


Crawford and I met on April 12th, 2010.  You're probably thinking, "Wow, what an amazing memory" right?  No. This picture was taken on that night and luckily my camera date stamped the picture.  Crawford can tell you exactly what I was wearing.  Tennessee t-shirt (this was a gift because I am a Duke fan- GO DEVILS), jean skirt, and my hair was crinkled.  It was a typical night for Alex and I- cornhole with friends.  

*Enter Crawford and Larry*

Larry is one my good friends and is a groomsmen.  Crawford had recently broken up with a girl so Larry was trying to introduce him to more people on campus.  All I remember about Crawford from that night was that he was wearing gym shorts, a tank top with a jacket, a hat that was backwards, calf-high Nike socks, and Nike flip flops.  Let's just say, not my cup of tea.  I don't think we even spoke that night other than saying "hi."  Apparently, that's all it took for Crawford.  He asked Larry who I was and Larry told him my name but pretty much told him to stop thinking because it wasn't going to happen.  Remember, I told you I wasn't ready to date and all my friends pretty much knew that.  Somehow, without even uttering a word other than "hi," Crawford knew that night, on April 12th, that I was the one he would marry.  He told Larry that night he would marry "that girl one day."  As you can imagine, Larry just rolled his eyes while thinking "this guy is insane."  

And that is pretty much how it started.  Cornhole. Gym Shorts. Tennessee T-shirt. And the word "hi."

No comments