Adoption Thoughts

"God is the Father to the Fatherless through us.  And if we are living lives that make sense to non-believers then we are doing something wrong.  Our lives are not supposed to be safe, secure, and comfortable.  When we choose to stop living for Christ, we are choosing to be unmoved by the deafening silence of an orphanage filled with children, we are choosing to allow children to sleep in DCS offices and age out of a system never knowing family, and we are making the world wonder where is the church."

This post is completely unplanned but this quote has rocked me to my core and I felt the need to write about it. When Craw and I decided to adopt, we knew that we were reaching outside of what society says is the "norm" for a young married couple. Society tends to think that the only time a couple would adopt is if they are unable to have kids. While that is true for some people, I hate that is the first thing a person thinks when they hear someone is adopting.

I have already mentioned on the blog what led Craw and I to adoption but I think this quote sums up exactly how we feel. Adoption is not something we are doing because we can't have kids. And it is not something we are doing because of my health. While my health does play a part in us needing to wait to have biological kids, it is not the reason we are adopting. 

We are adopting because it is something that God has called our family to do. We cannot sit back and claim to be "pro life" and do nothing to help these mamas that could have chosen abortion. We cannot sit back and claim to "love like Christ" and turn our backs on children that need a mama and daddy to love them for the rest of their lives. Adoption is something that scares me every day. I don't know what to expect. I'm terrified of the birth parents changing their minds after choosing us to be the parents to their baby. I'm terrified of the expense as we don't have $30,000 just chilling in our bank accounts. I'm terrified of what it may be like to raise a child that is racially different than us...not because I don't think we can do it but I can already see mama bear coming out if a person were to make a comment regarding the race of our child.

Please know that I am not saying that all Christians should adopt. I definitely believe that adoption is a calling. However, I DO believe that all Christ-loving people should be living for Christ daily. We have seen the beauty of Christ through so many people already. Our first fundraiser was a HUGE success and it was because people decided to give money to help us be obedient to God. I have people tell us all the time they pray for us daily and they are praying for our birth mama. That makes me smile with joy as people all around us are supporting us in this journey.


I'm not sure if these words even make sense but this was on my heart so I wanted to share.



 

 photo signature_zps6fb6277e.png

No comments